Most Reliable Practices for IT Security Teams in the Age of Cloud Computing
If you look back just a decade or so, many business organizations used to be reluctant about cloud solutions because of security vulnerabilities. Now in 2019, a vast majority of businesses have already adopted a multifaceted cloud strategy because of a wide range of benefits like enhanced flexibility, accessibility, ease of use, agile response to market and low cost as well as low-footprint IT manoeuvres with the high level of effectiveness.
While in the cloud services market, both Platform-as-a-service (PaaS) and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) are experiencing fast growth, the future of computing will belong to the cloud more than ever before. At the same time, cloud computing is continuing to evolve with new IT security threats and vulnerabilities. Not all organizations are adept or equipped enough to tackle new cloud security threats. This is precisely why we are here to explain the robust and most time-tested security practices in the cloud era.
Handling Cloud Incident
App developers working with cloud support for their apps should have a clear idea about the cloud incident response steps. Here we explain a few of the most important steps.
- Connect to the incident response team of the cloud service provider at once and make them understand the urgency. In case you want to temporarily revoke user access to the cloud for security reasons, communicate them clearly.
- In case the incident cannot be taken control over or delimited, have provision to switch to an alternate service or get onboard an internal server.
- Hold on to the prescribed steps and bear the delay until the system is restored. Installing a new instance or detecting the issue may take some time.
Risk Assessment For Cloud Environments
A risk assessment or vulnerability scans are required to detect common vulnerabilities, configuration issues with assets, endpoints without inventories, compliance issues and several other issues related to instances of a network that can further invite malware and hackers.
As for vulnerability scans, you have two choices, respectively as scanning with the agent and without agents. Both have their own pros and cons. For remote scanning work, access to environments is crucial. In contrast, agentless scanning without depending on Internet can detect issues. Actually, both vulnerability assessment procedures are equally important.
Safe Configuration For Cloud Assets
Since the vast majority of businesses now have a multi-cloud strategy and organizations when using several different IaaS and PaaS solutions, focuses on managing the cloud account security. This creates the further chances of misconfiguration of the Cloud accounts. This is why the secure configuration of the Cloud accounts remains so important.
Have Full Control Right from the Start
Cloud computing to provide organizations with the features and specific output they need, ultimately requires full control from the very beginning. This is why they should be fully considerate and diligent. Here below are the key steps to exercise control.
- Planning: The developers need to have a detailed and meticulous plan for successful cloud deployment first. Using a useful cloud adoption framework can highly be helpful.
- Development and Deployment: For successful development and deployment, the team should be fully versed with the intricacies of implementation.
- Secure Operation. Once the Cloud applications are built and implemented, a secure operation must be guaranteed.
Access management for cloud applications is another important area requiring vital capabilities ability to implement access control policies to manage resources. Let's look at various aspects of access management briefly.
- User Authentication: To mitigate the compromises with user credentials, multi-factor credentials are a must.
- Governing User Access Rights: A well-planned role management to control and utilize user responsibilities is a key aspect. This ensures that any single person can make data access vulnerable to threats.
- Enforcing Access Policies: from content delivery networks to storage solutions to various other aspects should be fully governed by well-articulated access policies.
Last but not the least of all the important security measures for cloud systems us the data protection. Giving full protection and safeguard to data from all errors, failures and vulnerabilities is of foremost importance. For data protection, here are some time tested practices.
- Safeguard Data from Unsolicited Access: To reduce risks of making data exposed to security threats, you need to utilize various means, including data encryption.
- Critical Data Availability: To protect mission-critical data and to refuse the risk of data loss to a minimum, data backup and recovery process is a must.
- Stopping Exposure of Deleted Data: Replicating data for persistent accessibility is a common practice. Now, when deleting relevant data, you need to make sure that it is deleted from everywhere, including all those places where the data has been registered for various purposes.
Finally, data is stored in a variety of disks in cloud servers is also exposed to real-life physical risks of damage. The faulty devices need to be monitored, tracked and replaced on a regular basis to prevent security vulnerabilities settling in. Even in a failed or dumped device customer data often remains stuck in. This is why you need to take comprehensive measure for removing data from scrapped or failed devices as well.
Juned Ghanchi is the CMO at IndianAppdevelopers, well know mobile app development company which offers a team of app developers for Android and iOS projects. He regularly writes at his company blog on the latest mobile technology.